In times of crisis, it's important to have a plan in place to ensure the safety of yourself and your loved ones. One crucial element of such a plan is a bugout bag, which is essentially a portable kit containing all the essentials you would need to survive for at least 72 hours in case of an emergency.
For urban survival or chaos during upheaval, a bugout bag becomes even more crucial. When basic necessities such as food, water, shelter, and electricity become scarce, having a bugout bag ready to go can make all the difference.
So, what exactly should you include in your bugout bag? Here are some of the essentials:
- Water: You'll need at least one gallon of water per person per day.
- Food: Non-perishable, high-energy foods like granola bars, nuts, and jerky are great options.
- First aid kit: Include bandages, disinfectant, pain relievers, and any medications you or your family members need.
- Shelter: A lightweight tent or tarp can provide protection from the elements.
- Clothing: Pack a change of clothes, including sturdy shoes and rain gear.
- Light source: Flashlights, lanterns, and extra batteries are a must.
- Communication: A portable radio can help you stay informed about the situation.
- Cash: In an emergency, cash is king. Make sure to have some on hand in case credit card systems are down.
- Personal documents: Copies of important documents like IDs, passports, and insurance policies can be invaluable.
- Self-defense: In times of chaos, it's important to be able to protect yourself. A self-defense weapon like pepper spray or a stun gun can help you feel more secure.
Overall, having a bugout bag can give you peace of mind knowing that you are prepared for any emergency situation. With a little bit of planning and preparation, you can ensure the safety of yourself and your loved ones during times of upheaval.
Unfortunately, there have been several recent examples in the United States where a bugout bag would have been incredibly useful. One of the most notable examples was the winter storm that hit Texas in February 2021.
The storm left millions of Texans without power, heat, or clean water for several days. Many families were forced to leave their homes and seek shelter elsewhere. Those who had bugout bags were able to grab them and head out quickly, while others had to scramble to gather essential items at the last minute.
For those who had bugout bags, they were able to rely on their supplies of food, water, and warm clothing to survive until conditions improved. For those without, it was a much more difficult and stressful experience.
Another recent example is the wildfires that have become increasingly common in the western United States. Many families have had to evacuate their homes with little warning, leaving behind their possessions and supplies. Those with bugout bags were able to grab them and head out quickly, while others had to rely on whatever they could gather in a hurry.
In both of these examples, having a bugout bag would have made a huge difference for families trying to survive in difficult conditions. By having the essentials already packed and ready to go, families can reduce stress and ensure their safety in times of crisis.
Another recent example in the United States where a bugout bag would have been useful is the riots that occurred in several cities during the summer of 2020. Many families in affected areas were caught off guard and had to evacuate their homes with little notice.
For those with bugout bags, they were able to grab them and leave quickly, knowing they had the essentials for survival. However, those without were left scrambling to gather food, water, and other supplies as they evacuated.
In some cases, the riots resulted in power outages and disruptions to basic services, such as grocery stores and pharmacies. This made it difficult for families to obtain the supplies they needed to survive. Having a bugout bag with non-perishable food, water, and medical supplies would have been crucial in these situations.
Additionally, those who had bugout bags with self-defense weapons such as pepper spray or a stun gun may have felt safer during the riots. In times of chaos, it's important to be able to protect yourself and your family.
Overall, the riots of the summer of 2020 demonstrated the importance of being prepared for emergency situations. By having a bugout bag ready to go, families can ensure their safety and reduce stress during times of crisis.